What is a Rotary Floor Scrubber?
Scrubbing floors is, at the best of times, a repetitious and laborious exercise, which is a great reason for the development of the rotary floor scrubber. When carried out manually, floor cleaning can be an inexact task depending as it does on the assiduousness of otherwise of the cleaner, whereas a machine gives a consistent result time after time.
These machines have a rotating head, to which brushes, pads etc are attached. This ensures that the floor can be thoroughly cleaned, to remove persistent dirt. The design of the machine also enables cleaning right into the corners next to walls. These machines not only scrub floors, they also dry and can have additional features such as sweeping or vacuuming etc.
Rotary floor scrubbers – Pedestrian
Probably the most well known rotary floor scrubber choice is the freestanding or pedestrian variety like the Truvox Orbis where the operator walks behind the machine, gliding it over the floor’s surface. Suitable for a variety of floors and types of dirt, a freestanding machine can offer you a flexible RPM output to suit your differing requirements as well as the opportunity to change the type of floor pads it uses depending on the type of dirt removal required and the type of polished finish needed. Do look out for the weight of the machine in its specification, this can vary and will have an impact on how easy the operator finds the rotary floor scrubber to use.
Ride-on rotary floor scrubbers
Now if you really mean business, there is a range of ride-on scrubbers, suitable for large surface areas, with drying capability to enable floors to be used very quickly after use. Modern ride-on scrubbers can be surprisingly versatile so if you’re discounting them as a solution for you due to a perceived lack of manoeuvrability or physical size then don’t, the facts may surprise you.
How do you choose the right Rotary Floor Scrubber for you?
Ideally you need to consider three key questions:
- How dirty is your floor?
- What type of dirt is it?
- What type of floor is it?
If you can answer these questions then give B & G Clean a call and we can advise you on the best type of floor scrubber for your needs.
When you’re buying your Rotary Floor Scrubber, don’t forget to ask…
- How many square feet (or metres) should the machine clean per hour? It sounds simplistic but sometimes we forget to ask the obvious!
- What size tank does it have? Tanks sizes can vary so find out what the right fit is for you.
- Does it have low vibration? The lower the vibration, the happier the operator.
- What are the RPM options? Remember, what RPM you need to use depends on the floor surface as well as the type of work that you are undertaking. For example, polishing needs a high RPM and a marble floor needs a lower one.
- Does it have a built in vacuum? Why have two machines when one will do?
- What are the details of the brush or pad? Is it a cylindrical brush or flat brush? What type of bristles does it have and how stiff are they? What is the size of the brush/pad – remember if it’s bigger, you will be able to clean your floor more quickly.
- Does it have a lock out handle? Think safety.
- Does it come with a warranty? You’d be surprised how many don’t.
And finally, don’t forget that B & G Cleaning, in addition to having the most comprehensive range of floor cleaning equipment, can supply spares and accessories for any type of machine, all you need to do is ask…